Recipe by Ian Magary
This is our best guess at carrot cake pancakes modeled after the ones served in Cinnamon's Restaraunt, Kailua, Hawaii. A wonderful morning treat that can be served with the cream cheese frosting (recipe below) and/or maple syrup. Enjoy!
For the Pancakes
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Pancakes:.
- Toast the walnuts lightly in a pan on med-low heat, then set off to the side.
- We love spicy food, so use less spices in the next step if so inclined….
- Lightly measure the flour with a spoon so as not to pack the cup measure. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves and ginger in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and eggs beating to combine.
- Add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in grated carrots and toasted walnuts.
- Cook pancakes on a greased/buttered skillet or frying pan on medium-low heat turning when batter starts to lightly bubble.
- Serve with the cream cheese frosting (steps below) and/or maple syrup.
- For the cream cheese frosting:.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese at high speed until light, about 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the confectioners' sugar; beat at low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.