Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter, for griddle
- cream cheese, topping
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat to 200°F This will keep the pancakes warmed as they’re fried in batches.
- To make the pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in carrots. Stir carrot mixture into dry ingredients, stirring until just Incorporated.
- To make the cream cheese topping: In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy and lump-free. Whisk in powdered sugar, two tablespoons milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan. Spoon 2 tablespoons batter into the hot pan per pancake. flipping once, until pancakes are golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer finished pancakes to a serving dish or tray in the oven, to keep warm while you repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more butter as needed.
- Serve warm with cream cheese topping.