Prep 3 mins
Cook 6 mins
This was served for breakfast on our last trip to Chicago.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 carrot, grated, small
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut or 1 tablespoon raisins
- Combine the rolled oats, milk, water, and carrot in a saucepan. Turn heat to medium and stir occasionally until mixture comes almost to a boil and most of the liquid is absorbed, which takes about 5-7 minutes. When oats are done, stir in vanilla and Splenda brown sugar blend.
- While oats are cooking make topping by blending 2 tbsp of non-fat plain yogurt with 1 tsp maple syrup.
- Pour oats into a bowl and top with yogurt topping, walnuts, and coconut or raisins.
I have been making a lot of oatmeal breakfasts as it's so cold here in the mornings and you do get fed up with the same old, same old, but you don't have to here on zaar/food.com and this is a shining example. Who would of thought you could have carrot cake oatmeal for breakfast, but it works great. I did add just a splash more water as mine was a bit thick for m, and I just used half the splenda blend and half the maple syrup, as I don't like things too sweet, but it was so so different for me. I've not made any thing like this before but I will be making it again, I am so surprised with it. The walnuts added a nice crunch. Thank you for posting. Made for Tis the season for giving. 2010
This was yummy! I made with carrots, raisins, coconut, and walnuts. I think a little crushed pineapple would have been really good too. I prepared by soaking in hot water (put everything in a covered container, add 'enough' boiling water, cover and let sit until you get around to it) and couldn't top with yogurt since that didn't fit into my eating at work plans. I bet the yogurt is super good too. Made for 2013 Spring Safari PAC.
ww oh wow this is good .i added a touch of cinnamon also .and added raisins and coconut great breakfast for those of us eating more oatmeal (me) try this its crazy good