I got this from http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2008/09/carrot-cake-oatmeal.html and think it sounds delicious!
- Combine the rolled oats, soy milk, water, carrots and salt in a saucepan.
- Turn heat to medium and stir occasionally until mixture comes almost to a boil and most of the liquid is absorbed (about 5-7 minutes).
- When the oats are done, stir in vanilla and brown sugar.
- While oats are cooking, make "icing" by blending the plain yogurt with the maple syrup; toast the pecans in the toaster oven for a few minutes (watch them carefully).
- Pour the oats into a bowl and top with the coconut, pecans, and icing.
I tried it. I ended up adding 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp each ginger and nutmeg, 2 Tbsp. raisins and a whole extra Tbsp. of brown sugar to get the "cake" taste I was hoping for.
No one thinks it's weird to add fruit to oatmeal so...why not start off the day with some veggies? I added extra brown sugar and made extra icing thanks to Maito's review. I don't think it tastes like carrot cake but it was really good! This was 1.5 servings for me; I couldn't finish the whole bowl and can usually eat a lot for breakfast! Hmmm...what will be next, zucchini bread oatmeal?? :-)
What an unusual and tasty oatmeal! I left out the coconut, otherwise made as directed. The pecans and the "icing" were a great addition to this oatmeal - it really did have a great carrot-cake flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for the Top Favorites of 2009 event