Recipe by Rachie P
This is an amazing 'muffin' recipe (I think they're almost like cupcakes when you add the frosting) from Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious". I get rave reviews everytime I make them. I prefer to use applesauce in place of the pureed cauliflower.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup carrot, puree
- 1⁄2 cup cauliflower, puree or 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups.
- In large bowl, use a wooden spoon to beat the sugar with the butter (or margarine) until smooth.
- Stir in purees, egg, orange juice, vanilla; then add fruit.
- Add powders and stir until just combined; do not overmix - there will be lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and muffins are lightly browned. Cool.
- Frosting: Beat frosting ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread onto cooled muffins.
- Store in air tight container 2 days at room temperature - or keep in fridge!