Recipe by Darling76
This recipe is from nutritionist Zonya Foco, I love anything she comes up with. The original recipe makes a carrot cake that is frosted with a light cream cheese frosting. I discovered my kids love this cake as muffins, without any frosting, (If you want to make the cake, just bake it at 350°F in a 9x13 pan, about 28-30 minutes.) I always use a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of whole wheat flour and white flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour.
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (including the juice)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 raisins
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (half whole wheat four half white flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix sugar, oil and eggs.
- Add vanilla, pineapple, milk and raisins.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking soda and spices. Add carrots.
- Add the carrot mixture a little at a time, to the large bowl with the sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350°F in sprayed or lined muffin pans about 15-20 minutes.