Recipe by *Alia*
Moist and yummy muffins
Top Review by Jupiter1300
I LOVE this recipe! I'm a BIG fan of carrot cake, and I must say, these little muffins live up to my high expectations! I make them for Easter brunch every year, and they're always a huge hit! I'd suggest doubling up the cream cheese frosting recipe, though, especially if you want to frost little carrots on each muffin (very easy to do - trust me, I'm no artist, and I can do it!). Highly recommend! Yum!
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place paper liners in 18 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Stir in the nuts and coconut. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Fold the wet ingredients, along with the grated carrot and apple, into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- After about 10 minutes remove the muffins from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth with no lumps.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Place a dollop of the cream cheese frosting on the top of each muffin.