Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A very large, moist, carrot cake that will feed a crowd. Get used to shreading carrots as you'll be asked to make this over and over again.
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins (I chop them first)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (combination of 3/4 c. melted butter and 1/4 c. walnut oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar.
- Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease two 10 inch cake pans, place parchment on bottom of pans, grease parchment and flour entire pan.
- Can be made in three 8 inch pans for a really tall cake.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light, gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Stir in the pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed.
- Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- When completely cooled, fill with lightly sweeten cream cheese filling and frost with butter cream frosting.
Great cake! I made this same cake after finding it on another recipe web site. It is absolutely incredible. The only thing I found different in your recipe is the last step in which you say to "fill with lightly sweetwened cream cheese filling and frost with butter cream frosting". How do you "fill" the cake? Additionally, I left out the raisins, just because I don't care for them and I used an Allspice Cream Cheese frosting. Each time I've made this cake I've had lots of requests for the recipe. It truly is scrumptious.
Hi CC, the filling is the 'frosting' that goes between the layers.....
This cake is OUT of this world for taste and it keeps WELL; I have tried many carrot cake ones;this is the best by far..