Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my favourites when I was a kid. I tweaked my mum's recipe a bit to suit my taste. Makes a very nice and moist coffee cake. Very well liked by guests and co-workers. Makes a lot.
- 250 g carrots, shredded
- 200 g brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (scrapings)
- 200 g melted butter
- 250 g roasted hazelnuts (ground)
- 50 g flour
- 4 -5 eggs (separated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (i prefer orange) or 1 teaspoon orange zest (i prefer orange)
- beat butter and sugar in a bowl until fluffly.
- add egg yolks, orange or lemon cest, dash of cinnamon, vanilla bean scrapings and keep on mixing.
- mix flour, hazelnuts and baking powder evenly.
- beat eggwhites with pinch of salt until fluffy.
- add shredded carrots to egg, sugar and egg yolk mixture.
- add hazelnuts and flour/baking powder mixture.
- work egg whites into dough carefully, this will make it fluffly.
- bake at 180°C for about 45 to 60 minutes.