Recipe by dicentra
Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving
Top Review by berry271
Just made this last night. Not my first time making jam, but my first time canning it. I've only made freezer jam before, and was happy with the results of this first trial of canning it. The jam set and all my jars sealed (Yeah!). Canning may not be as intimidating as I once thought. Plan to give this away as Christmas gifts, and am excited to try some new recipes. The recipe I have does call for 6 tbsp. of pectin which is I believe a 1.75 oz. packet. Tastes yummy, and husband really liked.
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups cored peeled pears
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned pineapple, including juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsb ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry pectin
- 6 1⁄2 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, and spices.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in pectin until dissolved. Bring back to a full boil, add sugar all at once, bring back to another boil and boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, skim off foam. Ladle into prepared jars with 1/4 inch headspace.
- Process jars in a BWB for 5 minutes for sterilized jars, or 10 minutes for unsterilized jars.