Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Carrot cake is one of the best cake flavours...well at least after chocolate. :) I took my love for carrot cake and my love for ice cream to create the perfect combo...carrot cake ice cream! To make the ice cream a little lighter, use 1 1/2 cups skim or 2% evaporated milk instead of heavy cream or half and half. This makes the ice cream not quite as creamy, but (at least when made in an ice cream maker) it does not freeze solid like some low fat homemade ice creams. An ice cream maker is optional for this recipe.-----Recipe made by me for RSC #10!
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese or 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim evaporated milk or 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, cooked and pureed
- Cook about 1 1/4 cup sliced fresh carrots in the microwave or stovetop until soft. Blend in food processor or blender with enough water or milk to make a puree. Measure out 3/4 cup carrot puree, set aside.
- Heat the 1 cup of heavy cream with the brown sugar in a medium size saucepan on medium heat, stirring often.
- When cream mixture is hot, whisk vigorously while adding the gelatin powder. Add in raisins (only if using an ice cream maker) and cream cheese and continue to heat for about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Pour hot mixture into a large glass bowl. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in evaporated milk (or heavy cream or half and half), and pureed carrot.
- Chill in fridge for about 1 hour or 1/2 hour in freezer, till ice cream mixture is cold. The ice cream mixture will be thicker at this point.
- ICE CREAM MAKER: Follow manufacturer’s directions, adding chopped pecans near the end of the freezing process.
- FREEZER METHOD: *Note - this method will take longer than the listed time to make*. Skip the previous chill step. Add in raisins and pecans. Pour ice cream mixture in a covered shallow pan and freeze until almost solid. Break up frozen mixture and process in food processor or blender until soft (this incorporates air into the ice cream). Repeat 1 to 2 more times.
We loved this - and I agree with another reviewer that you could sell this in a store! A definite keeper - will make again - and have been instructed by my children that I better double the recipe next time :)! Made for Spring PAC 2008.
I loved the ice cream!!! I think it should be the WINNER!!! This is my favorite recipe out of all the things my mom made!
Great recipe! Although I don't think I will make this recipe again because I don't have an ice cream maker (and I actually broke my hand blender trying to mix the frozen mixture, lol!) I thought this was a creative use of contest ingredients and the recipe tasted really good! I followed the directions exactly and was pleasantly surprised. I love carrot cake and having carrot cake ice cream is a real treat! Good Luck!