Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
You won't miss the raisins (especially if you're like me and you don't like them to begin with). I like to make this cake the night before and serve chilled.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Lightly grease two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- Lightly grease paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, applesauce and vegetable oil in bowl until combined.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into sugar and oil mixture.
- Stir in carrots, and chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and cakes begin to pull away from sides of pans, about 45 minutes.
- Cool in pans on racks 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely.
- For frosting:Using electric mixer, beat all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth and creamy.