Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this recipe in 501 Delicious Diabetic Recipes for You and Your Family. VERY GOOD!
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained, reserve 2 tbls
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 12 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line bottom a 13 x 9 x 2 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Spray pan and parchment with cooking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix brown sugar and oil.
- Add egg whites and beat at medium speed for at least a minute.
- Stir in pineapple, carrot, buttermilk, and 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and spread.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake out on wire rack and remove parchment paper to complete cooling.
- Beat neufchatel cheese, Splenda, 2 tbls pineapple juice, 1/2 tsp grated orange rind, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract on medium speed until smooth.
- Frost cake when completely cooled.
- Cut into 18 squares.