Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I loooove carrot cake cupcakes and found this recipe on AllRecipes and wanted it for my RecipeZarr cookbook :] I modified it as I deemed necessary (substituting 1/2 c. of applesauce and 1/4 c. of vegetable oil for the full 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, added 1/2 c. more shredded carrots, and halved the frosting recipe). I really enjoy toasted coconut in my carrot cake, and would probably add 1/2 to 1 cup of it if desired.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄8 cups white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce white chocolate
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Carrot Cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (I like the foil liners!).
- Beat together the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Mix in the vegetable oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- Fold in carrots and pineapple.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Mix flour mixture into the carrot mixture until evenly moist.
- Fold in 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Transfer to the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks before topping with the icing and sprinkling with remaining walnuts.
- In small saucepan, melt white chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in white chocolate, vanilla extract, and orange extract.
- Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is fluffy.
- Mix in heavy cream.