Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Ellie Krieger, USA weekend 10/7/12
Make and share this Carrot Cake Cupcakes With Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the Frosting
- 4 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened (reduced fat cream cheese)
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
For the Garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat to 350.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together both flours, baking road, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar and eggs until well combined.
- Then whisk in applesauce, vanilla and carrots.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just del combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until done, about 20 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- To make Frosting:.
- Use and electric mixer and beat together the cream cheese, confectioners sugar and lemon zest until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with walnuts.