Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful and moist cupcakes.
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- green food coloring (liquid or gel paste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place fluted paper liners in 18 muffin cups.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs until frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored.
- Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 18 muffin cups and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese until very smooth with no lumps.
- Gradually beat in the icing until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- With a knife or small metal spatula spread cream cheese frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Place the sweetened coconut in a plastic bag along with a few drops of green food coloring.
- Shake the bag until all the coconut has been colored with the dye.
- Garnish with the green colored coconut and a foil covered chocolate egg.
- For the basket handles, place the ends of colored pipe cleaners into the sides of the cupcakes.
- Cover and refrigerate the cupcakes until serving time.