Recipe by oilpatchjo
This recipe is out of the Western Producer newspaper. We have made this so many times I just couldn't tell you how many! Always perfect and always a crowd pleaser! All our neighbours who have dropped by our home have always asked for seconds!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (subsistution 1/2 cup crushed pineapple)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces (substitution 1/2 cup pecans)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup margarine (subsistution1/3 cup butter)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch rectangular pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk sugar, oil, applesauce or crushed pineapple and eggs until smooth.
- Stir in grated carrot and nuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture, and mix until flour is just moistened.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan set on wire rack.
- Cake can be turn out upside down in about 15 minutes so cake can cool completely before icing.
- Cream margarine and cream cheese together.
- Add icing sugar, vanilla, and enough orange juice to make a fairly stiff icing.
- Ice cake and sprinkle with orange peel.
- Chill to set icing.
- If you want to ice the sides of the cake as well use 8 oz of cream cheese instead of 4oz.