Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Found in Cooking Light magazine from long ago and almost forgot about this recipe until I started cleaning out my desk drawer to reduce my paper pile. It has been ages since I've made these but my notes show that we really enjoyed them. My only concern is the pan size called for in the recipe is 11x7" and that is not a standard baking dish size as most are 11x9". So I'd either use the 11x9" and reduce baking time by 3-5 minutes or use a 9x9" dish and increase the baking time by about 5 minutes.
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats (not instant oats)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat an 11x7" baking pan (see notes in recipe description).
- Beat sugar and butter at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).
- Add buttermilk, vanilla and egg whites; beat well.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Gradually add to the sugar mixture, beating just until blended (don't over-mix or the bars will be crumbly/dry).
- Hand-stir in the shredded carrots and raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 33 minutes (see note in description). A wooden pick test in the center should come out almost clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack completely before slicing.