Received this recipe from a co-worker years ago. To me is is the best Carrot Cake ever! I hope you agree.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups carrots (grated)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (well drained)
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped) or 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 ounces powdered sugar (more or less to your liking)
- Combine dry cake ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients and blend well for two minutes.
- Stir in the nuts, if desired.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° in a 9 x 13-inch pan for 55-60 minutes, or use two 8-inch round pans, a clean toothpick tell you when cake is done.
- Cool cake before frosting.
- Mix frosting ingredients together adding the powder sugar slowly to the taste and spreading consistancy you desire.
- Spread frosting evenly over cake.
- Decorate with additional nuts, and tinted frosting carrots is always a fun thing to do too. Enjoy!
I chose this recipe because it had less oil in than most. I actually used half applesauce and it still turned out with a great dense carrot cake texture. I baked the cakes in 2 9" pans and sprinkled 1/4 cup of chopped pecans on each layer. I used my own cream cheese frosting recipe, but the cake was absolutely delicious. Loved it!
This is the best carrot cake recipe I have ever tried. I don't eat dairy but I do bake for my family a lot. This was a very straight forward recipe, I followed the recipe exactly as it's posted. I was told that the icing came out too sweet. I used the entire 10 oz of powdered sugar since I didn't have anyone around to pre-taste the icing and I didn't want to make it "not sweet enough". Thank you for posting!
This carrot cake is really at it's best. We could live off of this. Last time I made it I forgot to put the oil in I also had no cream cheese for the frosting so I omitted it, my family still had no problem gobbiling it down!