Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A lighter version of carrot cake but just as good if not better. I even used this recipe to make a wedding cake for a friend who loved it.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups salad oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups packed shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (8 oz)
- 1 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 325; grease and flour bundt or tube pan.
- In lg bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In sm bowl, beat eggs slightly; stir in oil and vanilla.
- Add oil/egg mixture to dry ingredients along w/ carrots, nuts, and applesauce just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to finish cooling.
- Optional Icing: Mix 1 1/4 c 10x sugar and 5T water together until smooth and spoon over cake.
- Note: These make excellent muffins too; just bake in prepared muffin cups til done (appx 20 mins depending on size).
There is way too much sugar in this recipe, so I used Splenda instead and it was very good!!