Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was my Mom's recipe for Carrot Cake. A simple recipe that just tastes so good and reminds me of when I was a kid!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in oil, eggs and grated carrots.
- Beat for 2 minutes by hand.
- Add nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Bake in greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan for 45 minutes.
- For the frosting: Beat the cream cheese, margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy.
- Spread on cooled cake.
Really easy to make, and it tastes delicious!!!
I have made this several times now and my kids devour it almost before it leaves the oven! It's very easy to make (especially with a food processor to grate the carrot) with the minimum of ingredients. Definitely one we will keep on making.