Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
I have changed this adopted recipe quite a bit. Originally, it called for all whole wheat flour, and that sounded really heavy for the cake. I added nutmeg and cloves, and when the batter was extremely thick, I added the can of crushed pineapple, because I like pineapple in cheesecake. I have also added a frosting. My DIL, who loves carrot cake, loved this cake.
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup dry milk or 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, undrained
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, blend oil and sugars on low until well mixed.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Stir together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture until well blended.
- Stir in walnuts, carrots and pineapple by hand.
- Pour batter into well greased and floured 10" tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan, then top with cream cheese frosting, directions below.
- FROSTING: Cream butter and cream cheese together until light, add vanilla, then gradually add sugar and milk.
- Beat at high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy.