Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nothing says fall more than the fresh aroma of some of the season's most popular baked goods. From the classic carrot cake to the all-time family favourite – chocolate chip cookies – there is no shortage of occasions to enjoy these tried and true recipes. That's why the baking experts at Robin Hood are celebrating the start of the fall baking season with an updated selection of classic fall favourites. The best part? These fall recipes are not only delicious, they include some added goodness.
- 1 cup Crisco, vegetable or 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Robin Hood Nutri Flour Blend, tastes like white
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely grated carrots (approx. 1 lb/454g)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease two 9” (23cm) cake pans. Beat oil and sugars together in a large bowl until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix, just until combined. Fold in carrots. Divide batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire cooling rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire cooling rack.
- For icing, cream butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Add icing sugar, one cup (250mL) at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add vanilla. Continue beating until fluffy. Add 1 tbsp (15mL) milk at a time to thin out icing if necessary. Place one cake on serving dish. Spread with icing. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top with remaining icing.
- These recipes and more are available online at www.robinhood.ca.