Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My husband could live on this cake. This was my grandmothers recipe. The recipe used to call for a cup of oil, and I changed that to applesauce to lower the fat. The applesauce does make the cake dense, but the taste is very rich. Yummy.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2-1 cup raisins, optional
- cream cheese frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese (I use light)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix together dry ingrdients.
- Stir in applesauce, water, eggs, carrots, and raisins.
- Bake in greased cake pan at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until done.
- For frosting, cream together cheese and margarine.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Use mixer.
This cake has a wonderful flavor. The frosting is also delicious! This is a good enough for company type of cake! Thanks for the recipe.
Carrot Cake is my husband favorite and he says this is the best he has ever tasted. I substituted carrot juice for the water, added chopped 1/2 cup walnuts to the batter, and sprinkled some chopped walnuts on the top after frosting. Delicious!
This is excellent. I really don't like pineapple in carrot cake and when I found this decided to give it a try. It is amazingly moist and flavorful (I did add nutmeg to it). For the frosting I desicated coconut and added it to cream cheese, 1 T butter 1 tsp vanilla and squeezed lemon juice from 1/2 lemon. Fabulous!!!