Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a delicious, moist cake. A friend brought this to a Christmas party at work and it has been my favorite ever since. This recipe will work with zucchini or apples as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 13x9-inch pan.
- Mix sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla till well blended.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Mix together in another bowl the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir into egg mixture.
- Then stir in the shredded carrots and nuts; mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat together: 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla and milk.
- Add 4 cups powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Beat well.
- Frost cooled cake.
I halved this recipe, baking it in an 8" square pan for 40 minutes, which worked well. I only used one egg instead of one and a half, but it was a large egg. Two small eggs would have worked as well, I suppose.
I didn't frost it. Maybe that's why it was missing something. It's a good cake, light and moist, but it wasn't great. Maybe more cinnamon and a little extra salt would make it better. It may benefit from sitting overnight.
I would also say the icing is not optional.