Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A decadent version of the classic, this cake adds (tin) pineapple and luscious cream-cheese frosting. You can sprinkle some nuts on top. This is very moist carrot cake with only 1/4 cup of oil.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 250 g cream cheese, Philadelphia, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Line 33cmx23cm tin with baking paper.
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, mixed spice, baking powder and salt.
- Add shredded carrots, buttermilk, oil, pineapple, vanilla and eggs.
- Stir until combine with wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minute until golden brown and when you insert wooden toothpick in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For cream-cheese frosting :.
- Mix all ingredients together using hand held el. mixer until nice and smooth.
- Spread over the carrot cake.
- Cut into bars.
- Carrot cake freezes well without frosting.