Recipe by Kym in Ohio
I won a Blue Ribbon for this cake in 1986 at the Ohio State Fair.
Top Review by paularankin
thank you!!! moist and tasty. my family loves it:-)...however i read the reviews after making one and found that by adding nutmeg, clove and replacing half a cup of oil for apple sauce it was the best carrot cake ever!!!...oh i also threw in a hand full of raisins.
one proplem i have is that once cut the layers slide of to side which spoils the look!!! but not the taste......any tips for making it stay together.
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 cups grated carrots (fully packed)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat oil and sugar, then add eggs.
- Add and mix the rest of the cake ingredients in the order given Beat for 1 minute.
- Pour into 3 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- Icing: Mix butter and cream cheese together until smooth, then add sugar a little at a time.
- Beat until smooth.