Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my favourites from my mother's recipe book.
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (125 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk (approximately)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well blended.
- Add carrots and vanilla; mix well.
- Add combined dry ingredients alternately with milk, mixing well.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 - 60 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely. Invert pan to release cake. Frost.
- To prepare frosting: Combine softened cream cheese, milk, and vanilla, mixing till well blended. Gradually add sugar, mixing well. Adjust consistency of frosting with more milk or sugar, as required.