Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from my husband's grandmother but I've revised it a tad and is the best carrot cake I've had to date. I personally like to add raisins, but my husband doesn't like them so we leave them out and it's still awesome!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots (peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened to room temp)
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened to room temp)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
- Cake: Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl. In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix with fork and slowly add this mixture to sugar/oil mix. Mix in carrots by hand. Bake in greased/floured pan or line with wax paper at 350 for approximately (40 min = 2 round pans or 30 min = 3 round pans) Note: this can also be made in 13x9 pan, but I didn't keep track of my bake time.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: With mixer on low combine cream cheese and butter (softened to room temp) and slowly add 1- 1 lb box of Domino powdered sugar. Increase mixer speed if needed. Add nuts after mixture is frosting-like consistency and hand mix or use mixer. Spread on each layer of cake after cake is cooled.