Recipe by spoon26
Very time consuming but people who like carrot cake obsess over this version. I make it without walnuts.
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained (not completely, leave a little liquid)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1 dash allspice (optional)
- 1 dash ginger (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins. You can drain off half of the liquid from the carrot-sugar mixture, but leave some liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10 inch cake pans, or three 8 inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light.
- Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (and other spices), stir into the wet mixture until absorbed.
- Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.