Recipe by Hoddevik
I used this recipe countless times when working for a catering/deli business in Phoenix. It is delicious and always got wonderful comments from our customers. (A vice-president at US West Communications said he had tried carrot cake all over the world and this was his favorite). It is from 'The Silver Palate' cookbook
Top Review by Chef floWer
Made this for a school festival but didn't get a chance to taste the cake. I'm not the best baker in the world so I need good directions like this recipe and the cake seemed to cook well. I also decorated the cake with a little walnut. Thank you Hoddevik for posting your recipe.
- 709.77 ml unbleached all-purpose flour
- 709.77 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml baking soda
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 354.88 ml corn oil
- 4 large eggs
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml walnuts, chopped
- 354.88 ml shredded coconut
- 314.66 ml carrots, cooked, pureed
- 177.44 ml crushed pineapple, drained
- cream cheese frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour Two 9 inch cake pans.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl cream the eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well, then fold in the walnuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple.
- Pour into cake pans and cook on center rack for 50 minutes, until edges are pulling back a bit and a toothpick check in center comes out clean.
- Place on rack until completely cool (can take a couple hours) then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- (Alternatively this can be cooked in a square or rectangle pan, frosted and served directly from pan instead of as a 2 layer cake).
- (I estimated the Prep time assuming one has pre-cooked, cooled and pureed the carrots - I cut in 1 inch sections, steam until well cooked, cool then simply mash by hand).