I used this recipe countless times when working for a catering/deli business in Phoenix. It is delicious and always got wonderful comments from our customers. (A vice-president at US West Communications said he had tried carrot cake all over the world and this was his favorite). It is from 'The Silver Palate' cookbook
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄3 cups carrots, cooked, pureed
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- cream cheese frosting
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour Two 9 inch cake pans.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- In a seperate bowl cream the eggs, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well, then fold in the walnuts, coconut, carrots and pineapple.
- Pour into cake pans and cook on center rack for 50 minutes, until edges are pulling back a bit and a toothpick check in center comes out clean.
- Place on rack until completely cool (can take a couple hours) then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- (Alternatively this can be cooked in a square or rectangle pan, frosted and served directly from pan instead of as a 2 layer cake).
- (I estimated the Prep time assuming one has pre-cooked, cooled and pureed the carrots - I cut in 1 inch sections, steam until well cooked, cool then simply mash by hand).