Recipe by kusum gupta
Carrots are used widely in India, not only as vegetable, but also to make drinks, pudding and fudge. This fudge can be refrigerated or frozen for quite a long time.
Top Review by Waterskater
Very tasty. My food processor grating attachment made the carrots too coarse so I took my immersion blender to the mixture between step #2 and #3. My first attempt turned out a bit too wet so I had to roll the dough into balls and dip in milk powder for a kind of truffle looking thing. Next time, I'll really cook out the water in step #2. Delicious and pretty nutritious for a dessert!
- 3 lbs carrots, scraped and grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 ounces cups unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarsely crushed cardamom seed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the grated carrots and sugar, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the dry milk; cook, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking at bottom, until no moisture is left (about 1 hour).
- Stir in the butter.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture is of desired consistency that can be spread on a tray and cut into pieces.
- Add more dry milk as needed.
- Mix in the cardamoms and spread on a 9 by 13 inches greased cookie sheet.
- Garnish with nuts.
- Cut into squares when cold.