Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy broccoli and carrot casserole.
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- In a skillet, saute the carrots, celery and onion in 3 teaspoons butter until tender.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Top with 3/4 cup cheese.
- In the same skillet, saute broccoli in the remaining butter for 1 minute.
- Place over cheese and pour broth over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Prepared this for family night this week, but "skinnied it down" by using cooking spray instead of butter, and using 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and 1/4 cup shredded parmesan instead of the 1-1/2 cups of cheddar called for. I also doubled the amount of broccoli in the recipe since my clan likes it, and used a veggie broth instead of chicken broth. They ate every smidgen and scraped the dish, so it was clearly a hit!
A very nice dish - my picky 2 and 4 year olds ate it too! I browned some turkey breasts, chopped them up and added them to make a complete meal.
Am extremely late posting this review, because I'd made & enjoyed it 6 March so I'd be ready for PAC! Was going to cut the recipe in half, but then went for the whole thing so we'd have several meals from it as well as some healthy munching during the day! We enjoy broccoli, usually with cauliflower, so this recipe was A GREAT NEW WAY TO ENJOY THESE VEGGIES! I did use a homemade veggie broth instead of the chicken variety, & it's definitely a recipe I'd like to make again, especially for my veggie son & his wife! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag]