Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't made this carrot bread recipe yet but will be making it soon. Recipe was printed in local newspaper and has been adjusted to high altitude baking. For baking at sea level, baking powder and soda have to be increased to at least 1 1/2 teaspoons each and baking temperature and time may also need to be adjusted.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons tangerine juice or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tangerines, zest of, grated or 1 orange, zest of
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease two loaf (9x5) pans.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour-cinnamon) in bowl.
- In a seperate large bowl beat eggs and sugar together until thick. Add oil gradually and beat well.
- Add vanilla, juice and zest. Fold in carrots.
- Stir dry ingredients into batter until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans, filling no more than 2/3 full.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Let stand in pan 10 minutes before turning bread out onto cooling rack.
- After bread has finished cooling wrap in plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight before slicing.
oh my! my whole house smelled so wonderful while this was baking, and for the rest of the evening! i added some freshly grated nutmeg but otherwise followed the recipe, which produced 2 wonderful loaves. this is a keeper!
Very nice, moist breakfast bread. I substituted applesauce for 3/4 of the oil, and soy protein powder for 1/2 the flour for a healthier alternative, and it turned out great. I also added some extra spices (1/2 tsp. each of nutmeg, cloves and cardamom) as well as raisins, walnuts, and finely chopped candied ginger. Delicious!
This was extremely easy, attractive and tasty. I took it to some ladies that I visit teach for the church. They loved it!