Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Company's Coming 'Muffins and more'. If you like carrot cake you'll love these delicious bran muffins.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup natural bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I add more)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice (or applesauce if you don't have pineapple)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Mix first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add cooking oil, carrots, pineapple and juice (or applesauce).
- Pour int well. Stir only to moisten. Batter will be lummpy.
- Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan after 5 minutes.
- *For carrot muffins use 2 cups flour and omit bran.
This recipe is very good. According to my kids, it tastes like a muffin-cake but not too sweet. I made it dairy-free by replacing the 2 eggs with 3 teaspoons EnerGy Egg Replacer plus 4 TBSP of warm water (Mix to froth just as with eggs. I also used fresh pressed apple sauce in place of the pineapple. I was a little nervous when mixing the ingredients because it looked too dry but they came out perfectly. Next time I intend to add a few raisins.