Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yummy carrot cake in a bran muffin
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease muffin tin.
- Combine bran and buttermilk allow to sit until liquid is absorbed (about 3 minutes).
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. set aside.
- Whisk together egg, vanilla and brown sugar until frothy. Stir in applesauce. Combine with bran mixture.
- Add bran mixture to dry ingredients, mix until just combined.
- Fold in carrots, pineapple and raisins.
- Bake 50 - 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.