These tasty carrot bites are nice to keep in the refrigerator for when you want a quick bite of something sweet, or need a little pick-me-up between meals or after a workout. Found this recipe on a blog called Daily Bites http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2010/04/15/carrot-cake-bites/. These little bites can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 days.
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 5 -6 dates, pitted and roughly chopped (I use nice soft Medjool Dates)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (I use a little more to fit our taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 orange, zest of
- sesame seeds, for rolling in
- unsweetened dried shredded coconut, for rolling in
- In a food processor fitted with the S-blade, process carrots untill finely ground. Remove and set aside.
- Process the walnuts and cashews in the food processor (no need to clean it out) until finely ground.
- Add the dates and process until finely chopped and incorporated into the nuts.
- Add the reserved carrots, ginger, cinnamon, orange zest (if using) and process until dough forms.
- Shape the mixture into 15-18 small balls.
- Roll in sesame seeds or shredded coconut to coat.
- Refrigerate until ready to enjoy. Can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.