Prep 15 mins
Cook 23 mins
- 3 lbs carrots, peeled and diced into smaller than 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (vegetable oil will do)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 dashes fresh black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a stockpot over low-med heat, cook the carrots and the onions in the peanut oil for 7 to 10 min.; cover and stir occasionally. You want the onions to brown but not burn, although if the burn a little bit it's not the end of the world. Add the garlic, curry, salt, and pepper; saute for 1 more minute Add the 3 cups broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 min., or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a low boil. Turn the heat off. Use a handheld blender to puree half of the soup; if you don't have one, then puree half the soup in a blender and add it back to the soup pot. Add the maple syrup and stir. Serve hot.
This was excellent. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!