Recipe by Aunt Willie
This is one more in a series of my grandmother's vegetable "bakes." These were either clipped from a magazine or handwritten -- some with notes added later. This one had "good!" written on it -- evidently meeting with my grandmother's approval.
- 12 carrots
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash carrots, and slice.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until just tender.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except cheese and cracker crumbs) in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- In a 2 quart casserole, layer carrots and cheese, ending with a carrot layer.
- Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.