This is a fantastic, heart-healthy alternative to mayonnaise-based slaws and makes a fresh, colorful side. Recipe adapted from "Delicious Living", a publication distributed by our local health food store.
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 granny smith apple, unpeeled, cored, and shredded (I used extra apple and just cut into matchsticks)
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and shredded or 4 large carrots
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Combine dried cranberries and 1/4 cup orange juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apple with remaining 1/4 cup orance juice. Mix in carrots, red onion, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds.
- Drain cranberries, reserving juice; add cranberries to apple-carrot mixture.
- Whisk reserved orange juice and olive oil; pour over slaw and toss well. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.