Delicious, moist, heavy cake with no refined sugar. Honey and apples are the sweeteners. This makes great muffins as well.
- Carrot, pineapple and apple pulp can be made by pulsing in a food processor.
- Add honey, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together and then add until just blended.
- Fold in coconut and pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes.
- To make muffins: Fill muffin pans 3/4 full and bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
I made this recipe like a carrot cake, so I grated the carrot and apple rather than pureeing them. Also, as the OP didn't mention when to add the eggs in the method, I beat the eggs, then added the oil and vanilla, and beat them again. Instead of using honey I soaked 15 dates in 1 Cup boiling water, before pureeing them in the blender. I added the wet ingredients - grated carrot and apple, pineapple, date mixture - to the oil and egg, mixed them through, and then folded them through the flour, baking powder and spices. Lastly I added the coconut and nuts. This recipe did not come out very sweet, but it had a great consistency and texture. I would suggest that if you wanted it sweeter you could make some sort of frosting to go on it. Or you could try using the honey, as suggested in the original recipe.