For this delicious fresh-tasting soup, use your favorite apple rather than a cooking variety, which will give too tart a flavor. This soup is the perfect choice for the starte of a special-occasion meal or as part of a light lunch. Taken from "The Best Ever Low Fat" cookbook. Note: you can also substitute 1 large peeled and chopped potato instead of the celery and garnish with sprigs of parsley.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the carrots, onion and celery in a lare pan and add the vegetable stock.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, peel, core, and dice 2 of the apples.
- 4Add the diced apples, tomato paste, bay leaf, and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 5Reduce the heat, partially cover the pan, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- 7Meanwhile, wash, core, and cut the remaining apple into thin slices, without peeling.
- 8Place the apple slices in a small pan and squeeze the lemon juice over apple slices.
- 9Heat the apple slices gently and let simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until the apple is tender.
- 10Drain the apple slices and set aside until required.
- 11Place the carrot and apple mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- 12Gently reheat the soup if necessary and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 13Ladle the soup into 4 warmed bowls, top with the reserved apple slices and shredded celery leaves.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot, Apple & Celery Soup
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.9
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 246.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: