Recipe by Karamia
This is a great pick-me-up snack cake with rich cream cheese frosting. Moist and delicious, perfect for anytime!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup grated apple
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- walnut halves
- grated lemon, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F and grease and flour a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil, sugars and eggs until well combined.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in grated carrots and apples until just combined and pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tests done in the center with a butter knife.
- Cool for 5 minutes then take out of pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, mix cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in lemon juice and vanilla then gradually start adding the confectioners' sugar until blended.
- Beat with an electric mixer to get frosting smooth, then frost top and sides of cooled cake.
- Cut into squares and serve, garnish with walnut halves and grated lemon peel, if desired.