Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great pick-me-up snack cake with rich cream cheese frosting. Moist and delicious, perfect for anytime!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup grated apple
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- walnut halves
- grated lemon, rind of
- Preheat oven to 350*F and grease and flour a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil, sugars and eggs until well combined.
- Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in grated carrots and apples until just combined and pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tests done in the center with a butter knife.
- Cool for 5 minutes then take out of pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, mix cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in lemon juice and vanilla then gradually start adding the confectioners' sugar until blended.
- Beat with an electric mixer to get frosting smooth, then frost top and sides of cooled cake.
- Cut into squares and serve, garnish with walnut halves and grated lemon peel, if desired.
we tried this really easy cake, it was so tasty and not dry (even without the frosting). so good with morning tea. i will cook it again very soon.thank you:)
The cake was extremely moist, and not overly sweet. The frosting was very rich and sweet with a lemon bite. I used light cream cheese, and had to use more confectioners' sugar than stated to get a spreadable texture. Next time I'll make less of the frosting and spread it a little thinner to make it less rich. Overall a great snack cake.
This cake is absolutely amazing- as is the icing. It is very sweet however, so the 12 piece serving size is definitely accurate. I hate to admit that I did this during a game of tag but at the last minute I chickened out on all the calories and fat and subbed half the oil with unsweetened applesauce and used light cream cheese instead of regular. I can't even tell it is reduced fat!