Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
Good and nutritious
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot, drained and packed
- 3⁄4 cup apple, diced (1 medium apple, peeled)
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat bran, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour buttermilk mixture into the well. Stir until just combined, then add in the shredded carrots and diced apples.
- Divide evenly into muffin tins and bake for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top of the muffin springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool muffins on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
These are my favorite muffins! I have made them several times - usually I sub white flour with whole wheat pastry flour and a banana for the egg but it is great both ways. Thanks so much for a healthy and tasty muffin!