Recipe by Roosie
A twist on both carrot cake and zucchini bread. Yummy! From Better Homes & Gardens, Aug. 2001.
Top Review by Janecooksswell
I am reviewing the cake only as I used a Browned Butter Frosting (more on that later). Anyway, this cake/bar really could use a pinch of salt. I felt the cake had good potential, but it really fell flat for my family. We ate the frosting and pitched most of the cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded (~1 medium zucchini)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Citrus-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemons, zest of or 1 teaspoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger and baking soda.
- In another large bowl, combine eggs, carrot, zucchini, oil, honey, vanilla and walnuts and raisins, if used.
- Add carrot mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Frosting:in a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Fold in lemon/orange zest.
- Frost and store in the refrigerator.
- Cut into bars to serve.