Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
from shawn :)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, Minced
- 1 whole large onion, Diced
- 3 whole carrots, Washed And Sliced Thin
- 1 butternut squash or 4 whole yellow squash, Diced Small
- salt (don't add if using a salty broth)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (more To Taste!)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 48 ounces chicken broth or 48 ounces vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional) or 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and stir to coat. Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes, or until they start to get soft. Sprinkle in a little salt.
- Add squash. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until squash is soft and tender. After a few minutes, add salt to taste and the curry powder.
- Pour in wine. Let evaporate for about 30 seconds, then pour in chicken broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot, and cook for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, taste and adjust seasonings. Turn off heat.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender.
- Return to soup pot and bring to a simmer. Serve hot. If you’re feeling naughty, drizzle heavy cream or coconut milk over the top.
Great soup, love the flavour combination. I added the coconut milk right in for a little extra creaminess. Nice and easy and the leftovers are looking great.
We loved this soup -- I had a huge butternut squash to use up and this was perfect. DH is not a carrot fan, but he always likes soups where the carrots are pureed. I only made a few minor changes -- I added an extra tablespoon of curry powder, I mixed the cream into the soup as we like it really creamy and I added cilantro as well. This soup was a hit and the best thing is that I have leftovers. Will definitely make again! Made for ZWT-8.
We love butternut squash, so this was very welcome. We didn't detect the curry quite as much as we had hoped, but that's ok, the flavour was still very nice. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)