Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This smooth vegetable soup is served with crisp slices of baguette topped with your favourite cheese.
- 5 ounces leeks, chopped
- 10 ounces carrots, sliced
- 2 ounces salted butter
- 10 ounces roasted red peppers, skinned and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the bread
- 1 baguette
- 2 ounces cheese, sliced
- In a large saucepan, gently soften the leeks and the carrots in the butter for about 3 minutes. Tip in the peppers and pour in the vegetable stock; season with salt and pepper and cook for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
- Using a blender, whiz the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pan, stir in the soured cream and reheat gently.
- Slice a baguette to 1in thick. Toast on one side; then top with your favourite cheese on the other side. Grill until the cheese melts, before arranging over the soup and serving straight away.
I made this soup for DH and his sister and got rave reviews from both. Delightfully smooth and deceptively filling, I would def make this again!