Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
An absolutely delicious gratin from Bon Appetite.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups gruyere cheese, grated (6 oz)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- butter 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Arrange 1/4 cooked vegetables over bottom of dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and generous amount of pepper. Sprinkle 1/4 of cheese over. Repeat layering 3 more times with remaining ingredients.
- Pour broth over vegetables. Dot top with 1/4 cup butter.
- Cover and bake until broth is absorbed and vegetables are tender. About 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake until golden brown. about 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is wonderful! I hate cooked carrots, but this tastes so good I took more.